Invitation letter to enter Spain

The invitation letter to enter Spain is a document by which a Spaniard or foreigner legally resident in Spain requests the reception of a foreigner for a period not exceeding 90 days with the commitment to take charge of that person during his stay in the country.

All you should know about the invitation letter to enter Spain

Article 25.1 of Organic Law 4/2000, of 11 January, on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain and their social integration (hereinafter referred to as the Aliens Act), establishes that the foreigner intending to enter Spain “must present the documents that are determined by regulation to justify the purpose and conditions of the stay.

The letter of invitation is obligatory to enter Spain, unless the foreigner is staying in a hotel or hostel, in which case he will have to present the respective reservation at that place.

The only way to obtain a letter of invitation for purposes that a foreigner enters Spain is to request it from the corresponding National Police Station, as will be studied below. The letter of invitation must be original and not a copy.

According to what is established in the sixth provision of Order PRE/1283/2007, the model of the letter of invitation will have a series of “security measures that prevent or hinder its manipulation, falsification or fraudulent use”. Therefore, the only way for border officials to verify the legitimacy of the letter of invitation is by analysing the original and not a copy.

Who can request the letter of invitation?

In accordance with paragraph 1 of the first provision of Order PRE/1283/2007, of 10 May, may request a letter of invitation in favour of a foreigner who are:

a) Spanish citizens;
b) Nationals of a country that is a member of the European Union or a beneficiary of the Community regime.
c) Extracommunity aliens (who are not nationals of a member country of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland) who have legal residence in Spain.

The letter of invitation for foreigners must be requested at the National Police Station in your place of residence, which will be responsible for processing and issuing it (Second provision of Order PRE/1283/2007).

If you need more information on this subject, trust the professionals, who will advise you specifically.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment